CRS Fundraising Gala Dinner – Thank you for your support!!
The big event this month was the CRS 2017 Fundraising Gala Dinner on 12 October 2017 at the Hellenic Club in Woden, from which a sum of approximately $13,500 was raised.
- A very big thank you to all members (and friends of members) who supported this event! It is the major CRS fundraiser of the year, and your generosity and support for events such as this go a long way towards positioning CRS to meet the calls for assistance from our local asylum seeker and refugee community.
- A huge thank you also to long-time CRS supporter Alex Sloan for her role as MC for the evening, and to the two inspirational speakers, local identity, academic and author Kim Huynh, and the CEO of Refugee Council of Australia (RCoA) Paul Power.
- For the organisation of the event, particular thanks go to Morna Whiting for her overall coordination, and to Don McDonough for his work with the fundraising team to ensure the success of the raffle and auction.
A detailed report on the dinner and the speakers’ key messages is available at: https://actrefugee.org.au/events/
UPCOMING EVENT, Another Fundraiser for CRS!
Open Garden – Tina’s Mosaic Garden – As seen on Better Homes and Gardens
- 28 Vasey Crescent, Campbell, Saturday 11 / Sunday 12 November 2017, from 10am to 4pm each day, Entry Fee $5.00
- See the flier attached to the bottom of this message for details!
- Volunteers sought: Tina would very much welcome offers from volunteers to assist for short periods over the weekend with activities such as tea/coffee making, manning sales tables, and collecting entry fees and donations. If you are able to assist for a specific time period at any time over the weekend, please contact Tina on: 0414 624 796. Tina is making up a roster and you can choose a time that suits.
CRS Committee Meetings
Monthly CRS Committee meetings are held at 7.30pm in the Delphi Room of the Hellenic Club in Woden. CRS members are welcome to attend these meetings. Dates for committee meetings for the remainder of 2017 are:
- Wednesday 1 November, and
- Wednesday 6 December 2017
Please advise CRS Vice-President Brian Calder (email@example.com) if you plan to attend.
CRS Orientation Sessions
CRS orientation sessions have several purposes. For people who are interested in possibly joining as members it provides an overview of what we do and how we do it. It’s a great way to help you make up your mind if you want to be involved. For members who have just joined it provides an opportunity to explore the different ways you can be involved in and contribute to CRS. You need to do this session before you become actively involved particularly in volunteering to be part of a support team. The date of the remaining orientation sessions for 2017 is:
- 7-8.15pm Monday 27 November
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to check the date, location and time if you’d like to attend, or if you would like further information.
FOR INFORMATION: Refugee Action Committee (RAC)
- The tragic death of another young man in Australia’s detention regime on Manus Island, and the news that Australia is trying to move people from Manus to its other offshore immigration prison on Nauru, makes it overwhelmingly clear that not only is this a growing crisis, but also that the only real solution is to bring the refugees and asylum seekers trapped in PNG and Nauru to Australia.
- Professor Gillian Triggs will be speaking on the crisis in Australia’s refugee regime at Llewellyn Hall on Wed, Oct 25, 7pm.
- All are welcome and there is no need to book.
News Flash, 19 October 2017: Multicultural Australia celebrates scrapping of proposed citizenship legislation
The Federation of Ethnic Communities’ Councils of Australia (FECCA) has applauded the scrapping on 18 October 2017 of the Federal Government’s proposed new citizenship legislation.